Using Google Forms as a Reading Log

nibble

How many times have you heard, “I lost my reading log  or the dog ate it?” Perhaps these statements are on their way to becoming obsolete thanks to Google Forms. Using a Google Form as a reading log can simplify the process for both the teacher and student alike.

BENEFITS FOR TEACHER

1. Teacher shares one link or embeds the form into a blog or classroom website
  2. All the information is propagated into a spreadsheet
    1. One sheet per student
    2. Tabs are labeled with students names
    3. Easier than flipping through a stack of papers
  3. Collects easily accessible data
  4. No need to collect reading logs during class time
  5. Reading logs are automatically time & date stamped
    1. ***This means the teacher will know when the student filled the form out
  6. Saves a Tree, and provides funds which can be spent on other academic supports

BENEFITS FOR STUDENTS

1. Makes student accountable
  2. Less papers to organize
  3. Reduces stress
  4. Provides extra class time to support students individual needs
  5. Easy to use
  6. Can be accessed from most devices

HERE IS A SAMPLE READING LOG

CLICK HERE TO COPY TEMPLATE

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “Using Google Forms as a Reading Log

1. Stephanie says:

Is it possible for each child to have his or her own reading log (without others being able to see it)? I would like students to be able to keep track of their reading and AR progress, but I don’t want the other students to be able to see others’ information. Any information would be great. Thanks!

• Ms Drasby says:

Hi Stephanie,
      Thank you for this questions. Yes! You can have student’s see their own reading log. What you would do is make an individual Form for each student. To make it easier for you to access I’d link all the forms to one spreadsheet. Let me know if you need a tutorial on how to do this. I’d be happy to create one.

Best,
      Ms. Drasby

• Ms Drasby says:

Hello Stephanie,

Sorry for the delayed response to your questions. If you want the students to have individual reading logs I’d use a Google Sheet. The other choice is to Make multiple copies of the Google Form. This way each student receives their own copy to review. Each Google Form can be linked to the same spreadsheet. This will provide you with a separate sheet for each student within one spreadsheet.

2. Melissa says:

I liked each student to have an individual one but I don’t want to have to click on them each individually to see them.

Is there a way I can have individual logs and create one sheet with multiple tabs (that I’d name per student) of each of their logs?

• Ms Drasby says:

Hi Melissa,

You could link the Google Form to a Spreadsheet.
      This means you would need to share a separate form with each student.
      Please see the following Google Help Center Tutorial about linking Google Forms to sheets.

If you would like I’d be glad to create a post with tutorial and templates suited to your needs. Please let me know and provide as much information so I could best assist you.

• Katie says:

Hello Ms. Drasby,

I followed your Google Support link and learned how to link the Google Forms to Google Sheets. However, the responses all go to the same tab on the sheet. Is there a way to create it so that each student has his/her own tab on my spreadsheet? So that I can open one document and quickly pick which student’s tab I want to look at, and then I would see each log entry (or google form submission) that they’ve completed.

Thanks for your help.

• Ms Drasby says:

Yes each student can have their own sheet.
        What you need to do is create an individual Form for each student.
        Then link the individual for to a different sheet in the spreadsheet.
        Each individual student will use their own form to enter the reading data throughout the year.

If you would like this broken down into a tutorial please let me know.
        I understand the concept is difficult to understand without actually seeing it demoed!

3. Jennifer Evans says:

I am looking to use this for my class to use for Accelerated Reader. Would I need to make 30 copies of the form and attach each one separately or is there an easier way?

Liked by 1 person

4. Ms Drasby says:

Hello Jennifer,

It really depends on personal preference.
    I suggest adding a short answer question to the template with a request field for the students name. This could be linked to one spreadsheet where you may use an AZ Sort to alphabetize the data collected by students name.

The other choice is to share individual forms (make a copy) with each student. Once the first form is linked to a Google Sheet this creates a spreadsheet for the other forms to be linked to. Using this method would create individual sheets to gather the input from each student. Please let me know if you need a tutorial. I’d be happy to create an updated post.

Best,
    Ms. Drasby

5. Blair Lockhart says:

DocAppender sheet aďd on will put individual responses onto an individual doc for each student. Students choose their name from a dropdown menu on the form which is assocuated with a drive folder containing each student’s doc record.

6. beatricehester says:

Hello Mr. Drasby,

I am brand new to teaching this year and teach 7th grade ELA. I LOVE your form for the reading log. Is there a way for me to get your “exact” form? When I try to copy, I only get the log.

Thank you in advance!

• Ms Drasby says:

Hello beatricehester,
      Thank you for letting me know the link wasn’t redirecting properly. I have updated the Google Form to the “New Version of Forms” and fixed the make a copy URL. Please let me know if there is anything else I could do to assist you.

7. beatricehester says:

Mr. Drasby – can you upload an updated post on how to have separate sheets for either different students or different classes? I have 5 different classes and over 150 students. What is the best way for me to keep a log for each individual student? I’m not very “tech” savvy and did not understand the DocAppender.

• Ms Drasby says:

Hello Beatrice I’m more than happy to write an updated post. How often are the students expected to use the reading logs? Is it for daily reading? Do you want each student sheet in one spreadsheet or individual sheets?

• beatricehester says:

My apologies for my late reply… The students should update their reading logs daily. If possible, I would prefer that each student have their own spreadsheet. That way it is easier for me to keep track of what each student is doing.

Thank you sooo much for your help!

• Ms Drasby says:

Hello Beatrice sorry for the delayed answer but I was away at a conference. My plan is to write the new post during the next couple of days.