Thanks to Google Calendar it is so easy to maintain and share calendars with individuals or the “Whole Wide World.” If you are a teacher with a classroom website or blog you might find Google Calendar a handy tool. All the edits you make to a Class event or Homework Calendar is edited in “Real Time”. Your changes sync synchronously with the website calendar. If you use a Google Calendar for lesson planning you can save time by making a duplicate of the event and adding it to the classroom Calendar.
One of the beauties of a Google Calendar is it’s layering feature. This means the teacher can layer more than one calendar on top of one another to compare daily events throughout the district, or different content areas. A layered calendar can be embed into a website. It is easy to maintain a homework calendar, layered with a classroom event calendar for the public to see. These individual calendars are housed as separate calendars under the MyCalendar section of Google Calendars.
Direction for Embedding a Google Calendar
- On a computer, open Google Calendar
- Click the down arrow to the right of the calendar
- Select Share this Calendar
- Click the Calendar Details Tab
- Scroll down to Embed this Calendar Section
- Click Customize to change color, size, along with other options
- This is located above embed code
- Scroll down to the Calendars to Display Section
- Select the Calendars you would like to layer
- Go to the top of the page and click update HTML Button
- Copy and paste the code into the website