When it comes to research projects why should students struggle due to reading levels of resources found on the internet? What would teachers say if a search engine could be focused upon research content appropriate for younger students and lower readers? It is my belief these tools benefit students with becoming independent learners. When children feel successful with completing tasks they start to internalize the value of “Research”. Once students understand the value of research it is easier to build and introduce more advanced search skills. Next time one plans a research project why not set the students up for success by sharing a search engine scaffold to their needs.
How to Create a Custom Google Search Engine
- Sign into a Google Account
- Open this Custom Search Link
- Click Create a custom search engine or New search engine
- In Sites to search box, type the sites you want to include for the search results
- In Name Search Engine Box, type the name for the new search engine
- Finish by Clicking the Blue Create Button
- Copy embed code or public link for sharing
NOTE: Embed Code will allow you to place the search box on your website or in a blog.